Once a care contract has been agreed between a patient and a health worker on MMB HomeCare, the patient will pay for the healthcare service upfront through the platform. However, to protect the interest of both parties, the payment will be held in trust in an escrow account until the contracted care has been delivered to the patient. Where a continuing care plan that requires repeat visits from the health worker is agreed, the patient will be able to manage these care visits through the MMB Homecare platform while paying the agreed fee for each visit upfront. Silverwings Medical Informatics will retain a modest commission of between 20%-30% of any payment the patient makes with the remaining 70%-80% being remitted directly to the health worker’s bank account.